[gmx-users] Question about COM-Pulling

Christian Mücksch muecksch at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Mon Dec 13 18:04:28 CET 2010

Hi,

this is a more general question.

I thought that in analogy to an AFM-experiment a "dummy"-particle is placed
at a certain distance from the center of mass of the pull group (compare
figure 6.1 in the manual).
The force is then calculated as the displacement between the pulled atom
and the
"dummy"-particle. So if this is true which I'm not sure of,
I was wondering why the position of this "dummy"-particle is not plotted.

Or does this umbrella pulling work in a different way? How is the force
calculated?

Thanks a lot,
Christian

The position of the reference group and the displacement of the pulled
group from the reference group should be printed (although perhaps
without the reference position if you are using absolute coordinate
pulling, which is not recommended anyhow).

If you want some better advice, please be more specific and include
cut and paste sections saying "I expected X at Y, but it was not in
the file Z.xvg". you should also include your pull-code .mdp options
and your grompp and mdrun commands.

Chris.