[gmx-users] g-dist

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Dec 21 14:41:33 CET 2010

mohsen ramezanpour wrote:
> Dear justin
> after using grompp without -maxwarn I faced these:
>
> NOTE 2 [file g-dist.mdp, line unknown]:
>   You are using a plain Coulomb cut-off, which might produce artifacts.
>   You might want to consider using PME electrostatics.
>

> This run will generate roughly 2 Mb of data
> writing run input file...
>
> There were 2 notes
>
> There were 3 warnings

> Program grompp, VERSION 4.0.7
> Source code file: ../../../../src/gmxlib/gmx_fatal.c, line: 481
>
> Fatal error:
> Too many warnings (3), grompp terminated.
> If you are sure all warnings are harmless, use the -maxwarn option.

None of this output actually indicates what the errors are.  I don't know if any
of it will be relevant to the problem at hand, but without seeing what the
errors are, there's no way to rule out incorrect input.

> besides it is in 6454 line of complex.gro

How did you generate complex.gro?  If it is line 6454, it is not numbered
accordingly.  That doesn't matter, in theory, but if you've just simply
concatenated the protein and ligand coordinate files and left any extraneous
information in the .gro file, it could be causing the error.

-Justin

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     mohsen ramezanpour wrote:
>
>         Dear All
>         I did the Enzyme/drug tutorial and generated complex.gro and
>         complex.top files as was said.
>         Now I want to measure the distance between center of mass of
>         protein and drug
>         I used g_dist but I could not.
>         I entered these commands(of course I made an index.ndx and
>         g-dist.tpr):
>
>         I used from an typical .mdp file to generate .tpr file by below
>         command:
>
>         grompp  -c complex.gro     -p   complex.top   -o  g-dist.tpr
>              -f    g-dist.mdp    -maxwarn 3
>

>     What warnings are you ignoring?  This is, in general, a very bad idea.
>

>         then,
>         g_dist     -f    complex.gro    -s   g-dist.tpr    -o  g-dist.xvg
>
>         but the result was an empty g-dist.xvg and:
>
>         Fatal error:
>         Unexpected end of file in file   631LIG  C12     45  -0.475
>          -0.514  -0.434 at line 2
>         (Source file ../../../../src/gmxlib/confio.
>         c, line 725)
>

>     How many atoms are in complex.gro?  To what line number does this
>     atom entry correspond?  It seems g_dist thinks the file should end
>     here, prematurely.
>
>     -Justin
>

>         besides,I want to measure this distance befor erunning and as a
>         vector.
>         below is a part of my complex.gro:
>          631LIG  F1      42  -0.701  -0.571  -0.151
>          631LIG  C16     43  -0.534  -0.501  -0.306
>          631LIG  H16     44  -0.491  -0.434  -0.232
>          631LIG  C12     45  -0.475  -0.514  -0.434
>          631LIG  H12     46  -0.394  -0.446  -0.459
>

>         thanks in advances
>

>     --
>
>     Justin A. Lemkul
>     Ph.D. Candidate