[gmx-users] PME or Reaction field suitable for Gromos forcefield ?

Sanku M msanku65 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 22:57:06 CET 2010

Thanks David for the response. I was going through the supporting material of
your paper to understand the methodology .
For G96 forcefield, you wrote
'For the gromos96 simulations marked “cutoff ” a reaction field with
ǫ = 54 was applied beyond a cutoff of14 Å, for the opls/aa “cutoff ” simulations
a straight cut-off
of14 Å was chosen, and for the charmm “cutoff ” simulations a shift function was
used between
10 and 12 Å. In addition, simulations were carried out using Particle Mesh Ewald
(PME) for the
calculation of electrostatic interactions[10, 11].'

I am wondering what does the statement ' marked cutoff a reaction field with
epsilon 54 beyond a cutoff of 14 Angstrom'  in terms of gromacs .mdp terminology
?    Does it mean that you used reaction field as long range electrostatics for
 G96.  But, I may have understood wrong because in the last line you again write,
all simulations used 'PME'..  Does it mean that for G96 , the simulations were
repeated with both reaction field and PME separately ?
For the reaction field, I have never used it before, so I was wondering if you
can provide bit more details in 'mdout.mdp' terminolgy for general setup of
simulation using  G96 forcefield .
For example, for my simulation using Gromos96, I was using following mdout.mdp
using PME.  I am not sure that is a suitable setup for gromos simulation or not .
 Also, if I wanted to use reaction field, what modification I should have made
here in long-range electrostat part ?

; RUN CONTROL PARAMETERS
integrator               = md
; Start time and timestep in ps
tinit                    = 0.0
dt                       = 0.004
nsteps                   = 40000000
; For exact run continuation or redoing part of a run
init_step                = 0
; mode for center of mass motion removal
comm-mode                = Linear
; number of steps for center of mass motion removal
nstcomm                  = 1
; group(s) for center of mass motion removal
comm-grps                =
; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
; nblist update frequency
nstlist                  = 10
; ns algorithm (simple or grid)
ns_type                  = grid
; Periodic boundary conditions: xyz (default), no (vacuum)
; or full (infinite systems only)
pbc                      = xyz
; nblist cut-off
rlist                    = 1.4
domain-decomposition     = no

; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
; Method for doing electrostatics
coulombtype              = pme
rcoulomb-switch          = 0
rcoulomb                 = 1.4
; Relative dielectric constant for the medium and the reaction field
epsilon_r                = 1
epsilon_rf               = 1
; Method for doing Van der Waals
vdw-type                 = cut-off
; cut-off lengths
;rvdw-switch              = 0.7
rvdw                     = 1.4
; Apply long range dispersion corrections for Energy and Pressure
DispCorr                 = no
; Extension of the potential lookup tables beyond the cut-off
table-extension          = 1
; Seperate tables between energy group pairs
energygrp_table          =
; Spacing for the PME/PPPM FFT grid
fourierspacing           = 0.12
; FFT grid size, when a value is 0 fourierspacing will be used
fourier_nx               = 0
fourier_ny               = 0
fourier_nz               = 0
; EWALD/PME/PPPM parameters