[gmx-users] PME or Reaction field suitable for Gromos forcefield ?

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Dec 23 07:27:52 CET 2010

On 2010-12-22 22.57, Sanku M wrote:
> Thanks David for the response. I was going through the supporting
> material of your paper to understand the methodology .
> For G96 forcefield, you wrote
>
> 'For the gromos96 simulations marked “cutoff ” a reaction field with
>
> ǫ = 54 was applied beyond a cutoff of14 Å, for the opls/aa “cutoff ”
> simulations a straight cut-off
>
> of14 Å was chosen, and for the charmm “cutoff ” simulations a shift
> function was used between
>
> 10 and 12 Å. In addition, simulations were carried out using Particle
> Mesh Ewald (PME) for the
>
> calculation of electrostatic interactions[10, 11].'
>

> I am wondering what does the statement ' marked cutoff a reaction field
> with epsilon 54 beyond a cutoff of 14 Angstrom'  in terms of gromacs
> .mdp terminology ?    Does it mean that you used reaction field as long
> range electrostatics for  G96.  But, I may have understood wrong because
> in the last line you again write, all simulations used 'PME'..  Does it
> mean that for G96 , the simulations were repeated with both reaction
> field and PME separately ?
yes.
you would just exchange PME for RF. That's all. There is an enormous of
literature about this, an our paper is one which shows that at least for
our examples, but I  would like to a argue for any system with full
charges (rather than just dipoles like water), PME is much better than
anything else.