[gmx-users] minimization

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Dec 25 01:34:53 CET 2010

mustafa bilsel wrote:
> Hi,
> What is the meaning of the below message after I completed minimization?
> Does it mean minimization is successful?
> In my input parameters nsteps=10,000,000 but minimization stops at about
> 14,000 th step. Is 10,000,000 very large? What is the typical value for it?

That depends on the system and how far from the minimum it is.

> And also what is the meaning of Fmax<10?
>
> Message: Converged to machine precision, but not to the requested
> precision Fmax<10.

Fmax corresponds to the value of the potential energy gradient.  I'd suggest
some textbook reading here.  If you don't understand what EM is doing, you
probably shouldn't be running it blindly without knowing what the settings are.

-Justin

> Best wishes
> Mustafa

Justin A. Lemkul