[gmx-users] Nose-hoover T-coupling in REMD

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Dec 25 14:05:14 CET 2010

On 25/12/2010 1:12 PM, Qin Qiao wrote:
> Thanks a lot!
>
> It says Nose-hoover coupling generates the correct canonical ensemble,
> and that's the reason why I used it. I wonder whether v-rescale can
> also get the correct ensemble. Could you tell me?
>
> I'm quite curious how to choose the frequency of the T-coupling in
> REMD. Though it seems the higher the frequency, the more accurate T
> will be, I wonder whether it will get artifacts for in MD run.. since
> the warning in Gromacs says tau_t should be 20 times bigger than
> dt*nsttcouple..

Consider what you mean by "accurate T". You actually wish to sample from
a given "constant" temperature ensemble. However that ensemble does not
show its average T at every instant - the conserved quantity is not
actually temperature. What you want is the right average T and the right
fluctuations. Probably you want to read the literature for the
T-coupling algorithms to learn more about the details here... Probably I
should also too :-)

Mark