[gmx-users] making maxwarn a hidden option

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Dec 29 22:57:06 CET 2010

That sounds reasonable. I don't like hidden options except for when
they are associated with manuscripts that have not yet been published.

If people want to make -maxwarn more difficult to use, it might be
possible to use one of the two following mutually exclusive options:

A) do not include -maxwarn in the grompp -h output, but mention it
when grompp fails with a warning, and include the warning text along
with the description of how to use -maxwarn.

B) keep -maxwarn in the grompp -h output, but add a new flag
-i_know_what_i_am_doing that does not appear in the grompp -h output.
When a user applies the -maxwarn flag, grompp terminates without
producing a .tpr file but outputs the warning about the problems that
may be associated with -maxwarn and a description that in order to use
-maxwarn, the user must also include the -i_know_what_i_am_doing flag.

I realize that option B is just pushing everything back one level from
option A, but I prefer this because then the grompp -h output is more
complete, which is especially important since a part of the .pdf
manual is autogenerated from grompp -h as I understand it.

Finally, thanks Justin and Mark for the discussion on this topic. It
is possible that I am wrong here and the original suggestion is the
best way to go. I just wanted to get my opinion out there.

Chris.