[gmx-users] Desktop Freezes While Using mdrun-gpu

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Thu Dec 30 16:27:14 CET 2010

Hi Solomon,

Just stumbled upon your mail and I thought you could still use a
answer to your question.

First of all, as you've probably read on the Gromacs-GPU page, a) you
need a high-performance GPU to achieve good performance (in comparison
to the CPU) -- that's the reason for the strict compatibility list and
the warning about overriding this.

Ideally, the Gromacs-GPU MD code should be able to run on every
compute-capability-wise compatible GPU. However, it does not really
make sense to use mobile or other lower-end GPUs. Moreover, I have
seen freezes and extreme slowdowns when running on such hardware,
especially if the graphics card is also used for display.

Regarding your problem, I don't have an instant solution, but as I
said, except for trying it out you won't gain much with the 330M chip.
What OS are you using? Have you tried with the latest drivers and CUDA
library? If you are using Linux, try to stop the X server and start
the simulation in console mode.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd