[gmx-users] Restrained Molecule is Moving

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Feb 3 03:30:08 CET 2010

Jennifer Casey wrote:
> Thank you so much for your quick response.
>
> I have attached my .itp, and .top files.  I think that the if statement
> was originally in the wrong spot, but after changing in and running an
> energy minimization, there is still some drifting - the Na+ moves to
> (0.566, 1.559, 1.586) from (0.486, 1.621, 1.621).  Maybe this is normal
> amount of drift?

Possibly.  Position restraints only specify a force constant to oppose motion,
not completely fix coordinates, so some movement is possible.  To test, you
could specify an extremely high force constant (100000 or more) in the posre.itp
file and see if the position changes any less.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar