[gmx-users] making topology file for infinite crystal

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Feb 7 19:18:58 CET 2010

Vishal Agarwal wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
>         pdb2gmx -f cellulose.gro
>

>     So then your "cellulose.gro" contains all the atoms of GLCA
>     monomers, named exactly as the force field expects them?  Have you
>     checked against the .rtp entry?  What force field are you using?
>
>     ;;
>
> Should they be exactly in the same order as the rtp entry ? The atom
> type I specified is definitely according to the standard convention of
> rtp entry. I am using G45a3 as the force field.

Not to my knowledge.  As long as all of the expected atoms are there, you
shouldn't have a problem.

>         I am getting the following error while using pdbgmx.
>
>         "Fatal Error:
>         Atom -O not found in residue 2 while adding improper"
>
>         Atom type "O" is actually not part of the GLCA residue. Only
>         atom type OA is part of GLCA residue.
>

>     pdb2gmx is complaining about an atom, not an atom type.  Somewhere
>     in the .rtp file (probably within the [impropers] section, there
>     should be a line specifying an atom named O that belongs to the
>     preceding residue (hence the minus sign). None of my .rtp files are
>     like this.  Did you create a custom .rtp entry?
>
> ;;
> No I didnt create a custom rtp entry.
>

>         Do I need to modify the rtp entry to suit my system or does this
>         error corresponds to something else ?
>

>     That will depend upon the answers to the above questions.  If you
>     created the .rtp entry, then you'll have to fix the problem of
>     naming mismatch.  If you're using the standard .rtp entry for the
>     force field, then it's easier to modify your coordinate file to
>     match the naming expected by the force field.
>
> ;;
> The problem I am having is where to modify my coordinate file. The
> residue doesnot contain a atom type 'O'.
>
> Another curious question I have is suppose if I have another system
> where the a monomer uint say GLCA (specified in rtp) is connected by a
> bridging atom say Carbon. Do I need to create a new rtp entry for pdbgmx
> to work or is there  a work around by specifying that carbon as a
> separate residue ?

The problem comes from this line in ffG45a3.rtp:

  [ impropers ]
;  ai    aj    ak    al   gromos type
    C1    O5    -O    C2     gi_2

Clearly the force field is expecting to assign an improper around carbon C1
using an "O" atom in a previous unit as a reference.  I think this may be a typo
in the file.  The ffG53a6.rtp file has this line for the same improper:

    C1    O5    O1    C2     gi_2

I think this is what was intended.  I do not know why the anomeric carbon would
be using a previous residue as a reference for assigning an improper.  Perhaps
this is a bug.  Make a local copy of ffG45a3.rtp and fix the line to make it
look like the ffG53a6.rtp entry.  Please report back if this works; it may need
to be fixed for a future release.

-Justin

> [...]
>         <mailto:gmx-users at gromacs.org>>>

>                   Please search the archive at
>         http://www.gromacs.org/search before
>                   posting!
>                   Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list.
>         Use the www
>                   interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>
>                <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>>
>                   <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>
>                <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>>>.
>
>                   Can't post? Read
>         http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php
>

>                --        Regards
>
>                ***********************************************
>                Vishal Agarwal
>                Research Scholar
>                University of Massachusetts, Amherst
>                ***********************************************
>                'Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to
>         yourself."
>                           ---Richard Bach
>

>            --    ========================================
>
>            Justin A. Lemkul
>            Ph.D. Candidate
>            ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>            MILES-IGERT Trainee
>            Department of Biochemistry
>            Virginia Tech
>            Blacksburg, VA
>            jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu> <http://vt.edu> | (540)
>         231-9080
>
>            http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

>            posting!
>            Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
>            interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>
>            <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>>.
>            Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php
>

>         --
>         Regards
>
>         ***********************************************
>         Vishal Agarwal
>         Research Scholar
>         University of Massachusetts, Amherst
>         ***********************************************
>         'Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to yourself."
>                    ---Richard Bach
>

>     --
>
>     Justin A. Lemkul
>     Ph.D. Candidate
>     ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>     MILES-IGERT Trainee
>     Department of Biochemistry
>     Virginia Tech
>     Blacksburg, VA

>     posting!
>     Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php
>

> --
> Regards

> Vishal Agarwal
> Research Scholar
> University of Massachusetts, Amherst
> 'Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to yourself."

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee