[gmx-users] compilation problems orte error

Jennifer Williams Jennifer.Williams at ed.ac.uk
Mon Feb 8 14:32:29 CET 2010

Dear All,

I am having problems compiling gromacs 4.0.7 in parallel. I am following the
Quick and Dirty Installation instructions on the gromacs webpage.
I downloaded the the versions of fftw, OpenMPI and gromacs-4.0.7
following these instructions.

Everything seems to compile OK and I get all the serial executables
including mdrun written to my bin directory and they seem to run fine.
However when I try to run mdrun_mpi on 6 nodes I get the following:

[vlxbig16:08666] [NO-NAME] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file
runtime/orte_init_stage1.c at line 182
[vlxbig16:08667] [NO-NAME] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file
runtime/orte_init_stage1.c at line 182
[vlxbig16:08700] [NO-NAME] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file
runtime/orte_init_stage1.c at line 182
[vlxbig16:08670] [NO-NAME] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file
runtime/orte_init_stage1.c at line 182
[vlxbig16:08681] [NO-NAME] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file
runtime/orte_init_stage1.c at line 182
[vlxbig16:08659] [NO-NAME] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file
runtime/orte_init_stage1.c at line 182
It looks like orte_init failed for some reason; your parallel process is
likely to abort.  There are many reasons that a parallel process can
fail during orte_init; some of which are due to configuration or
environment problems.  This failure appears to be an internal failure;
here's some additional information (which may only be relevant to an
Open MPI developer):

   orte_rml_base_select failed
   --> Returned value -13 instead of ORTE_SUCCESS

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? Computer support at my
University is not sure.

Thanks

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.