[gmx-users] undesired aggregation

Ester Chiessi ester.chiessi at uniroma2.it
Wed Feb 17 13:46:52 CET 2010

Thanks for your answer.
With the system [166 NIPPA and 4140 water molecules] I performed runs in three different modalities for the non-bonding interactions, as described in the following:

1)
; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
nstlist                  = 10
ns_type                  = grid
pbc                      = xyz
rlist                    = 0.9

; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
coulombtype              = PME
rcoulomb-switch          = 0
rcoulomb                 = 0.9
; Method for doing Van der Waals
vdw-type                 = Cut-off
rvdw-switch              = 0
rvdw                     = 1.2

; Spacing for the PME/PPPM FFT grid
fourierspacing           = 0.12
; FFT grid size, when a value is 0 fourierspacing will be used
fourier_nx               = 0
fourier_ny               = 0
fourier_nz               = 0
; EWALD/PME/PPPM parameters
pme_order                = 4
ewald_rtol               = 1e-05
ewald_geometry           = 3d
epsilon_surface          = 0
optimize_fft             = no

2)

; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
nstlist                  = 10
ns_type                  = grid
pbc                      = xyz
rlist                    = 1.0
; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
coulombtype              = reaction_field
rcoulomb-switch          = 0
rcoulomb                 = 1.5
; Relative dielectric constant for the medium and the reaction field
epsilon_r                = 78.5
epsilon_rf               = 1
vdw-type                 = Cut-off
rvdw-switch              = 0
rvdw                     = 1.0
; Apply long range dispersion corrections for Energy and Pressure
dispcorr                 = EnerPres
; Extension of the potential lookup tables beyond the cut-off
table-extension          = 1

3) As 1) but with longer cut-offs

; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
nstlist                  = 10
ns_type                  = grid
pbc                      = xyz
rlist                    = 1.2
; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
coulombtype              = PME
rcoulomb-switch          = 0
rcoulomb                 = 1.2
vdw-type                 = Cut-off
rvdw-switch              = 0
rvdw                     = 1.5
; Spacing for the PME/PPPM FFT grid
fourierspacing           = 0.12
fourier_nx               = 0
fourier_ny               = 0
fourier_nz               = 0
; EWALD/PME/PPPM parameters
pme_order                = 4
ewald_rtol               = 1e-05
ewald_geometry           = 3d
epsilon_surface          = 0
optimize_fft             = no

I observed aggregation in each case.

About the environment control, temperature had a RMSD of about 2.5 K and pressure of about 185 bar.

I was reading in the paper

J. Phys. Chem. B, 2003, 107 (35), pp 9424-9433
"Methodological Issues in Lipid Bilayer Simulations" by Céline Anézo,? Alex H. de Vries,? Hans-Dieter Höltje,? D. Peter Tieleman,§ and Siewert-Jan Marrink

that the Author modified some LJ parameters to enhance the hydration of some atoms in their system.

I do not know if it is a legitimate procedure, in my case. If I could obtain the 'right' behaviour of NIPPA at 293 K, should I be sure to use the same modified parameters at a different temperature?

Another idea is to try an all-atom force field, i.e. OPLS. Do you think anything could change?

Ester