SV: SV: [gmx-users] Order parameter for unsaturated lipid chain in UAmodel

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Feb 25 16:02:38 CET 2010

Sarah Witzke wrote:
> Thank you for looking at the data. I just thought, that it deviated too much
> from published results, but perhaps it is because I have mainly worked with
> saturated lipids. I calculated the order over the last 117 ns of a 167 ns
> trajectory (10 ps between each frames), so there should be sufficient data I
> think. Thank you, Sarah

Did you look at the papers I linked earlier?  Your results look pretty similar
to the data from those papers, which included both experimental and
computational information.  If you're not used to unsaturated lipids, have a
look around the literature - there's lots out there!

-Justin

> [...]
>>
>> Thank you, Sarah
>>
>> ________________________________
>>
>> Fra: gmx-users-bounces at gromacs.org på vegne af Justin A. Lemkul Sendt: to
>> 25-02-2010 14:42 Til: Discussion list for GROMACS users Emne: Re:
>> [gmx-users] Order parameter for unsaturated lipid chain in UAmodel
>>

>> Sarah Witzke wrote:
>>> Dear gmx users,
>>>

>>> I am sorry to ask this question again, but reading in the email achieve
>>> did not enlighten me. I found this email which describes my problem, but
>>> unfortunately it has no replies:
>>>
>>> http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2008-July/034950.html
>>>
>>> Also there are these two recently emails:
>>> http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2010-January/047767.html
>>> <http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2010-January/047767.html> ,
>>> but I am still in doubt.
>>>
>>> So my question is regarding the unsaturated lipid chain of POPC. I would
>>> like to calculate the order parameters for my united atoms so I make
>>> first an index file with the tail atoms from the carbonyl-C to the
>>> methyl-C and then I run g_order -od. Then I make a new index file with
>>> the two atoms of the double bond and the atom before and after the double
>>> bond (four atoms in total) running g_order -unsat -od
>>>
>>> I then take the two values from the last g_order run and replace them
>>> with the order parameters for the double bond calculated without -unsat.
>>> When looking at the graph and comparing to the literature this graph it
>>> looks wrong: First there is a small dip in the order for the atom before
>>> the double bond, then it goes a bit up for the first double bonded C, and
>>> then for the next double bonded C and the atom after that the order is
>>> quite low. I know this description is not good, but it was just to
>>> explain, that the graph is not as expected.
>>>
>>> I would very much appreciated if anyone could tell me, where I go wrong.
>>>
>> I don't see why a drop in the order parameter is unexpected.  I see it all
>> the time in published papers of unsaturated lipids, for example:
>>
>> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp902131b
>> http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/114209721/abstract
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Sarah
>>>
>> -- ========================================
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul Ph.D. Candidate ICTAS Doctoral Scholar MILES-IGERT Trainee
>>  Department of Biochemistry Virginia Tech Blacksburg, VA jalemkul[at]vt.edu
>> | (540) 231-9080 http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

>> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www interface
>> or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org. Can't post? Read
>> http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php

> Justin A. Lemkul Ph.D. Candidate ICTAS Doctoral Scholar MILES-IGERT Trainee
> Department of Biochemistry Virginia Tech Blacksburg, VA jalemkul[at]vt.edu |

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee