[gmx-users] decimal charge instead of integer

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 21 14:26:12 CET 2010

Carla Jamous wrote:
> Thank you Justin,
> but I ran a simulation before this one with GTP & it worked fine. GDP &
> GTP parameters are identical except for GDP having less atoms.
> This is why I can't understand why I don't get an integer charge while I
> did in my previous simulation.

OK, but this still doesn't help anyone give you any advice.  Please refer to my

It is also potentially faulty logic to suggest that GDP parameters can be
generated from GTP parameters by simply chopping off a phosphate.  Under most
force field parameter sets, the charges on the beta-phosphate will have to
change since the electronic properties of the molecule are now different.

-Justin

> Carla
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Carla Jamous wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         In order to run my simulation, I had to insert GDP parameters in
>         ffamber94 (the force field I'm using).
>         However, I'm having a problem with GDP charge.
>         the charge of every charge group in top file should be an
>         integer. But I'm getting a decimal charge which gives me
>         naturally a decimal total charge of my molecule.
>         I checked number of atoms, it's correct, their charge also.
>         But it seems it's having trouble adding charges & giving an
>         integer charge.
>         Does anyone have an idea where is the source of the problem?
>

>     What is the charge?  If it is a small difference between an integer
>     and your charge (i.e., the difference between +1.9999 and +2) then
>     there is no problem. The issue there is the inherent limitation of
>     doing a lot of floating-point operations to sum the total charge.
>      If, however, you have a charge of +1.9256 when you wanted +2, then
>     your parameters are simply wrong.
>
>     -Justin
>
>         Thanks
>
>         Carla