[gmx-users] grompp gives "no molecules were defined in the system"

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 28 19:20:30 CET 2010

Marysa van den Berg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The number of atoms in the second line of my .gro file are correct, I
> checked that.
>
> This is what my topology file says in the beginning:
>
> [ moleculetype ]
> ; Name      nrexcl
> Protein      3
>
> No changes here after the solvation.
>
> At the end after the [ atoms ] directive:
>
> ; Include Position restraint file
> #ifdef POSRES
> #include "posre.itp"
> #endif
>
> ; Strong po
> sition restraints for InflateGro
> #ifdef STRONG_POSRES
> #include "strong_posre.itp"
> endif

Here's the problem.  To end the #ifdef statement, you need "#endif", not
"endif."  Since you haven't closed the #ifdef, nothing is being found after this
point in the topology (assuming you're not specifying "define = -DSTRONG_POSRES"
in the .mdp file, which you only want at certain times).

-Justin

> ; Include DPPC chain topology
> #include "dppc.itp"
>
> ; Include water topology
> #include "spc.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES_WATER
> ; Position restraint for each water oxygen
> [ position_restraints ]
> ; i funct fcx    fcy  fcz
>   1    1   1000 1000 1000
> #endif
>
> ; Include generic topology for ions
> #include "ions.itp"
>
> [ system ]
> ; Name
> Protein
>
> [ molecules ]
> ; Compound #mols
> Protein        1
> DPPC          242
> SOL           48333
>
> The only thing in the topology that changed after the solvation, was
> adding the watermolecules in the [ molecules ] section (SOL 48333)
> What could be the problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marysa

> Ontdek nu Windows phone. De smartphone van dit moment
> <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/nl-nl/default.mspx>

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar