[gmx-users] Re:mpi_run issue

#ZHAO LINA# ZHAO0139 at ntu.edu.sg
Fri Jan 29 02:20:44 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

I still do not know how to modify it.

Thanks,

Elsa

Here is the example file I based on to modify,
mpi.sh

#!/bin/bash
#
## Specify the job name
#PBS -N jobname

## Join the standard error and the standard output into 1 file output
#PBS -j oe
#PBS -V

## To run on 16 cpus
#PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=8

## pre-processing script
cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
NCPUS=`cat $PBS_NODEFILE | wc -l`
echo $NCPUS

## program to run
/usr/local/openmpi/bin/mpirun -np $NCPUS -machinefile $PBS_NODEFILE ./myprog

My working directory is ${HOME}/Jobs/1A7W/tryScript. By the way, I do not know the NODEFILE mean.

Thanks and best regards,

Elsa

> Hi,
>
> I tried to run the command
> mdrun -deffnm em
> on cluster,
> blow is the script, but I worried that it might be some place
> wrong, seems no files came out after several hours running
> Is anyone please help me to modify it, and how can know the
> process of its running in the cluster.

We can't know the best procedure for your cluster because we haven't read its documentation or talked to its admins... (hint, hint)

> Thanks and best regards,
>
> Elsa
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #
> ## Specify the job name
> #PBS -N emMDrunSecondOne
>
> ## Join the standard error and the standard output into 1 file output
> #PBS -j oe
> #PBS -V
>
> ## To run on 16 cpus
> #PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=8
>
> PBS_O_WORKDIR=${HOME}/Jobs/1A7W/tryScript
> [ -d ${PBS_O_WORKDIR}] || exit 1

This looks wrong. PBS usually has flags that let you specify running the job in directory from which submission occured - use them.

> cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
> NCPUS=`cat $PBS_NODEFILE | wc -l`
> echo $NCPUS

If PBS is defining $PBS_NODEFILE to point to some file it creates, then that file won't be local to the directory you've arbitrarily changed to, so NCPUS won't get defined suitably, so mpirun won't work.

I'd suggest you start again from some example script that is known to work on your cluster and modify only the mpirun line.

Mark

> ## program to run
> /usr/local/openmpi/bin/mpirun -np $NCPUS mdrun_mpi -deffnm em
> exit 0
> > --
> Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/search
> before posting!