[gmx-users] rdf

nishap.patel at utoronto.ca nishap.patel at utoronto.ca
Sun Jan 31 21:24:14 CET 2010

Hi Will,

     I have been using pme from the very start and it didn't help with
the volume. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by average
g(r) over every molecule?

    And because my rdf-s are not smooth enough even with 100ns, I get
fluctuating data using rdf-s.

-Nisha

Quoting Will Glover <will_glover at yahoo.com>:

> Hi,
> 100 ns is overkill for those liquids.  It should be smooth enough at
>  1 ns, provided you average g(r) over every molecule.
> What do you mean the volume decreases?  With time?
>
> As for the cut-off, it's well known that switching Coulomb terms
> leads to artifacts, and increasing the cut-off distance doesn't
> necessarily make things converge.  See
> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct0502256 for example.
>
> Use PME for electrostatics.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Will
>
> --- On Sat, 1/30/10, nishap.patel at utoronto.ca
> <nishap.patel at utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
>> From: nishap.patel at utoronto.ca <nishap.patel at utoronto.ca>
>> Subject: [gmx-users] rdf
>> To: "Discussion list for GROMACS users" <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>> Date: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 9:45 PM
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I am doing rdf's of simple molecules. I ran my
>> simulation of water and methane for 100ns to get a smoother
>> curve for the rdf. I am trying to determine the volume, and
>> after a certain cut-off I would assume my values to be
>> constant (i.e. volume), but the values fluctuate alot (i.e.
>> decreasing). If I am using 'switch', from say 0.8-0.9,
>> shouldn't the values smooth off after 0.9nm? and stay
>> constant after that? Any insights would be helpful.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Nisha P

>> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use
>> thewww interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.

Nisha Patel
MSc Candidate
Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy