[gmx-users] Re: Pull code

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Thu Jul 1 16:57:07 CEST 2010

The force acting on your pulled group is:
F=k(vt-x)
where x is the displacment of that group (1) relativ to group (0).
I thin Justin used this values to create the structure for the later
umbrella sampling, so the pulling velocity is rather fast.
I usually used k1=500, and velocities of about 0.001 to 0.0001 for
pulling experiment for systems with only a few hydrogen bonds.
I think the choice of the parameters depends upon how strong your
molecules interact with another.
But for umbrella sampling i would assume that it matters most that you
generate strucutres with the right distance and not so much with what
pulling velocity you reached this distances.

Greetings
Thomas

> Hi Justin
>
> Thanks for your help. The two molecules are now moving together. I am
> however slightly confused about the parameters pull_rate1 and pull_k1. I
> want the molecules to come together very slowly therefore
> I would set the rate to be a very small value. How the does the force
> come into play and how should you decide on the best value?
>
> Gavin
>
> Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>>
>> Gavin Melaugh wrote:
>>> Hi Justin
>>>
>>> Thanks. If I use the pull_geometry = direction I would go for the
>>> following jus t to pull the molecules together in the z direction.
>>>
>>> pull        = umbrella
>>> pull_geometry = direction
>>> pull_start = yes
>>> pull_ngroups = 1