[gmx-users] Extracting enthalpies during or after MD

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 4 03:40:48 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: lists at jsx.dk
Date: Friday, June 4, 2010 10:35
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Extracting enthalpies during or after MD
To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>

> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> The thing with the energy groups makes sense now. But I have run into
> another problem with the method...
>
> The same atom cannot be in multiple energy groups during a simulation.

It doesn't want to be... see manual 3.3

> Let say that I want the interaction energy between water and lipid
> head-group and also water and protein. Will I then have to do "mdrun
> -rerun" to get all the energy group I want out of this?

One (re)run will suffice unless you have large numbers of groups. Consider whether g_enemat is useful for you.

> And does mdrun -rerun work on a parallel cluster?

Yes, it's exactly like mdrun, but derives the next positions from the trajectory, not from integration. If your groups are small, then use of energy group exclusions will make the problem small enough that you don't need parallelism, however.

Obviously these interaction energies won't mean anything if you're using PME, since the long-range term can't be decomposed.

Mark