[gmx-users] Extracting enthalpies during or after MD

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Jun 5 02:29:48 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: lists at jsx.dk
Date: Saturday, June 5, 2010 5:58
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Extracting enthalpies during or after MD
To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>

> Thanks for the help Mark. Just to make sure I understand you
> correctly, I
> have a few comments/questions, see below...
>
> kind regards,
> Jesper

Correct. The nonbonded loops tend to be (roughly) loops over energy groups over charge groups.

> >> Let say that I want the interaction energy between water and lipid
> >> head-group and also water and protein. Will I then have to do
> "mdrun>> -rerun" to get all the energy group I want out of this?
> >
> > One (re)run will suffice unless you have large numbers of
> groups. Consider
> > whether g_enemat is useful for you.
>

> Using rerun will I be able to specify more energy groups, where
> the same
> atom can be in multiple groups? Else, I would have to run it several
> times, right?

No. Read manual 3.3 carefully - "mutual interactions between all energy monitor groups are compiled during the simulations". So you can get protein-lipid-head-group and protein-solvent (and the other pairs, including self-self, unless you use energy group exclusions) merely by defining three non-intersecting energy groups.

> Also, g_enemat is to post-process/analyse the numbers once I
> have them
> from a simulation, where I have extracted all the energy numbers
> I want,
> right?

Yes. g_enemat -h.

> So if I cannot do it with one simulations (because some atoms
> are part of
> several different energy groups, then g_enemat won't work for my case,
> correct?

You can do it with one invocation of mdrun, which is why I suggested that :-)

Mark