[gmx-users] Disk Space

teklebrh at ualberta.ca teklebrh at ualberta.ca
Tue Jun 15 00:53:42 CEST 2010

Dear Chris and Justin,

I just read the manual and it stated that I need a .trr file if I want
to extend the simulation ( from 5ns -20ns).

My question is:

For the first 5ns I want to use berendsen thermostat and barostat so
that my system will relax faster compared to N-H and P-R. Then I will
switch on to the Nose-Hover and Parrinello-Rahman ( this will give me
a correct description for the kinetic energy information.

Therefore, I need both coordinate and velocity files then ( Gromacs 3.3.3).

>>> nstxout                  = 50000
>>> nstvout                  = 50000
>>> nstfout                  = 0

>>> ; Output frequency for energies to log file and energy file
>>> nstlog                   = 2000
>>> nstenergy                = 1000
>>> ; Output frequency and precision for xtc file
>>> nstxtcout                = 2000
>>> xtc-precision            = 1000

rather than set the values of nstxout and  nstvout , if I set them to
50000, I could get the .trr file. But for my entire analysis I will
depend on the .xtc file.

step 1

after 5ns of my simulation( Both berendsen thermostat and barostat. I
have to use still grompp to generate a new .tpr file by modifying the
.mdp file ( t_ coupling,p_couple and the tinit). Once done this I run
mdrun.

step 2

use the following procedure then after

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Extending_Simulations

tpbconv -s previous.tpr -f previous.trr -e previous.edr -o next.tpr
-extend timetoextend

Am I correct? and also is the output file seems reasonable.

I am trying to balance both the disk space issue and what output I
need to continue further.

Thank you chris and justine.

Rob