[gmx-users] Disk Space

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 15 01:16:41 CEST 2010

teklebrh at ualberta.ca wrote:
> Dear Chris and Justin,
>
> I just read the manual and it stated that I need a .trr file if I want
> to extend the simulation ( from 5ns -20ns).
>
> My question is:
>
> For the first 5ns I want to use berendsen thermostat and barostat so
> that my system will relax faster compared to N-H and P-R. Then I will
> switch on to the Nose-Hover and Parrinello-Rahman ( this will give me a
> correct description for the kinetic energy information.
>
> Therefore, I need both coordinate and velocity files then ( Gromacs 3.3.3).

> rather than set the values of nstxout and  nstvout , if I set them to
> 50000, I could get the .trr file. But for my entire analysis I will
> depend on the .xtc file.
>
> step 1
>
> after 5ns of my simulation( Both berendsen thermostat and barostat. I
> have to use still grompp to generate a new .tpr file by modifying the
> .mdp file ( t_ coupling,p_couple and the tinit). Once done this I run
> mdrun.
>
> step 2
>
> use the following procedure then after
>
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Extending_Simulations
>
> tpbconv -s previous.tpr -f previous.trr -e previous.edr -o next.tpr
> -extend timetoextend
>
> Am I correct? and also is the output file seems reasonable.

That's certainly a reasonable way to extend a simulation.  With 3.3.3, you need
full-precision coordinates and velocities.  Is there any reason you want to use
software that is several years old?  The upgrades in the 4.0.x series are quite
nice, and make extending simulations far easier, requiring only a checkpoint
file.  This (I assume) is why Chris said that the .trr file is becoming obsolete.

> I am trying to balance both the disk space issue and what output I need
> to continue further.

If you only need the .trr file to continue your simulation, you only need the
very last frame, so there is really no reason to save high-precision coordinates
every few ps for 5 ns.  Your .trr file may exceed several GB in size, all for no
reason!

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate