[gmx-users] Re: question about [ pairs ] and interaction 1-4

Alan alanwilter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 15:18:52 CEST 2010

Thanks Mark, here is the answer I got from Amber list and explains what I
saw.

Cheers,

Alan

lots of relevant answers. For example:

http://archive.ambermd.org/200408/0178.html

The issue is that there is no VDW radii on OH hydrogens. One possible fix
for this is to add a small VDW radii to the H atom. I would also suggest
using shake (even during the minimization) which will help since it will
keep the O-H bond length fixed. Essentially none of the force fields were
ever really designed to be used without shake so you can get weird things
happen if you are not using shake. Phosphate groups are an extreme case
however.

Essentially, with water and hydroxyl hydrogens it is assumed the H atom is
effectively within the VDW sphere of the oxygen atom, hence why it has zero
VDW radii. Phosphates have a huge electrostatic interaction which can
effectively override this. Note though that having shake stops the H bond
increasing in length so it effectively remains within the oxygen VDW sphere.
This may be enough to prevent the catastrophe you are seeing. Alternatively
consider creating a new atom type for hydroxyl group bonded to oxygen bonded
to phosphorus adding the small VDW radii for the H atom. Note gaff has a hp
atom type:

 hp          0.6000  0.0157             same to hs (be careful !)

Which is listed as H bonded to phosphate. Note this is different from
hydroxyl:

 ho          0.0000  0.0000             OPLS Jorgensen, JACS,110,(1988),1657

in that it has a VDW radii.

Good luck,

All the best
Ross

--
Alan Wilter S. da Silva, D.Sc. - CCPN Research Associate
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge.