[gmx-users] how small rcoulomb can be

Gaurav Goel gauravgoeluta at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 18:40:40 CEST 2010

I will re-ask my question as it didn't come out right in previous
mail. Read below.

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Mark Abraham <mark.abraham at anu.edu.au> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for your reply Mark. Any thoughts on instead increasing
rcoulomb and rlist. Will that be more efficient and/or accurate rather
than trying to adjust ewald_rtol and fourier_spacing with a very short
rcoulomb? In literature I found that the optimal value people have
used for beta is, beta*L=10.

In my simulations, for rcoulomb=0.55, beta*L=15.52
                                rcoulomb=0.9, beta*L=   9.49
How can I obtain the magnitude of maximum wave vector (i.e., 'm' in
Eq. 4.159 of manual 4.0)?

I have a separate question in regards to (conserved) energy drift in a
NVT simulation.

I first equilibrated my system for 1 ns in NPT ensemble. Then, I
turned-off the pressure coupling, further equilibrated my system for 1
ns In NVT ensemble [N=2160, V=20.43 nm^3, T=4000K; rcoulomb=rlist=0.9,
rvdw=0.55, nstlist=5]. Then in a production run of 3.5ns I get
following energy drifts:
Statistics over 3549897 steps [ 1000.0000 thru 4549.8960 ps ], 1 data sets
All averages are exact over 3549897 steps

Energy                      Average       RMSD     Fluct.      Drift  Tot-Drift
Conserved En.            -3.65264e+06      18936    73.1027    18.4782
  65595.7

i.e. drift=0.16 kT/ns.

If nstlist=10, drift= 0.5kT/ns

Should I worry about these drifts?