[gmx-users] how small rcoulomb can be

Florian Dommert dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Jun 19 10:06:10 CEST 2010

Hello,

 tuning the pme to an optimal balance between accuracy and speed is indeed a nontrivial task. As already mentioned a too small cutoff in real space will require a large cutoff in reciprocal space and therefore the parallel scaling will be the problem. If you post all files necessary to generate a tpr, then I can tell you some settings for a desired accuracy.

Unfortunately the routine is not ready to push it to the master branch. There are some things to clarify. However to be able to use it you have to patch the file ewald_util.c a little bit, that it accepts negative values that you can input the parameter beta directly. But this is trivial. Just put

if (dtol<0.0)
	return -dtol;

at the beginning of the routine and everything is fine. Then you can input just the negative value of the desired beta value at the ewald_rtol section of the mdp file and
everything is fine.

/Flo

Florian Dommert
Dipl.-Phys.