[gmx-users] How to increase the tolerance for conjugate gradient minimization

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Sat Jun 19 23:02:50 CEST 2010

Hi Arthur,

Two answers:

It's a pretty fundamental result on numerical analysis that you can only achieve a tolerance that is sqrt(EPS), where EPS is your floating-point accuracy. If you need better tolerance you might have to try double precision.

Be careful to use e.g. switched interactions and a cutoff buffer, and you might want to emply L-BFGS minimization in the endgame.

However: this assumes you really need extremely low tolerance - the only normal application where that is the case is normal modes.

Cheers,

Erik