[gmx-users] multiple time step

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Jun 30 07:41:01 CEST 2010

I recall seeing something online about how gromacs developers have
decided to focus on increasing the overall speed and allowing
generally large timesteps (via e.g. angle constraints) vs.
implementing multiple timestepping (no mailing list ref. sorry). I
agree that this is not a logically exclusive decision -- PME takes
 >20% of the time so if they were doing it only 1/2 as often then
there is the possibility of a real speedup. Nevertheless, it would
need to be tested and perhaps the developers have indeed run these
tests -- I've simply not seen the results. One would think, though,
that PME could nearly always be done less often than, for example,
bonded interactions.

I agree with Erik that the work would be large, but I disagree that
the benefits would be small -- although I suspect that neither of us
has any data to support such claims :).

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that this is free software and if
you want it then you can code it. Or at the very least, you should
benchmark the benefits on NAMD and then submit an "enhancement"
bugzilla.

Chris.