[gmx-users] Unneccessary bonding

abdullah ahmed abdullah_renk_ahmed at hotmail.com
Mon May 3 18:09:01 CEST 2010

Dear Mr. Periole,

The atoms that are getting close are oxygen from a GLU residue and hydrogen from a LYS residue.

Abdullah

From: x.periole at rug.nl
To: gmx-users at gromacs.org
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Unneccessary bonding
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 18:00:43 +0200

On May 3, 2010, at 5:52 PM, abdullah ahmed wrote:Thank you very much for your reply,
I agree it is probably a visualization of the effect, and that there is no bond. However, the distance between the two atoms participating in this "phantom bond" is 1.4 A°. Isn't that too close? Shouldn't it be considered a clash?
1.4 is short for sure! an H-bond goes down to 1.0 ... and charged ions make (depending on their size) bonds with water oxygen around 2.0 ... If you have two opposite charges in front of each other that might well be happening! What kind of atoms are the ones getting close?

Abdullah