[gmx-users] Re: PMF of ligand transport

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 10 18:10:11 CEST 2010

Aswathy wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> I am sorry, i dint understand this point "Your problem was only related
> to the actual umbrella sampling itself." ? You meant I just want to
> repeat umbrella sampling only?

Yes.  The manner in which you generate the initial configurations on which you
will conduct umbrella sampling is quite irrelevant.

> In order to further understand that "Distance " problem, May I ask one
> more question,( please ignore if its a stupid one..)
> As Thomas suggested, = is the channel and x the dummy and l the ligand
> x l =====
> later time
> x   ==l==
> If this is the case, then  there wont be sign problem with "distance",
> right???  (Once again forgive me if I am wrong, because I know you
> already put your maximum effort to make me understand this thing)
>
>  And if we use a dummy particle, will the movement  of that particle
> will also matter ? How can we fix that?

I think this is a rather complicated approach and you will probably spend a lot
of unnecessary time troubleshooting it.  It might work, but you don't need it.
Your problem is not with the SMD portion of the protocol.  Your problem is with
umbrella sampling, which is a separate concept.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar