[gmx-users] SMD pulling question

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Sat May 15 04:23:21 CEST 2010

I guess that I am missing something, but how would restraining the
position of the bilayer COM in absolute space have any affect on
anything at all? I certainly agree that one wants to observe if the
membrane has been destabilized, but if so then I think the solution
would be slower pulling and not an additional restraint on the COM of
the bilayer in absolute coordinates. Perhaps this is what you meant
Justin and I just got caught up in your word "unless".

Chris.

Esteban Gabriel Vega Hissi wrote:

Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding pulling a molecule in a SMD simulation. I
pretend to translate a ligand across a lipid bilayer and get later the
PMF to calculate the DeltaG profile across the bilayer.
The reference group for pulling will be the COM of the bilayer but do I
have to restain the position of it?

In theory, no, unless by pulling you somehow manage to destabilize the
membrane
or its position.  Try it and see, then determine a solution if one is
necessary.
   Generally a sufficiently slow pulling rate (such that the membrane is not
destabilized) should not cause problems.

-Justin
Thanks in advance

Esteban
UNSL