[gmx-users] pressure for ambient water

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 17 04:41:24 CEST 2010

Amit Choubey wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Amit Choubey wrote:
>
>         Hi Justin,
>
>         Since the density (1 gm/cc) and T (300 K) correspond to ambient
>         condition, should not the equation of state dictate a pressure
>         around 1 atm?
>

>     If the equation of state involves temperature and pressure, yes.
>

> So if you fix the density and temperature shouldnt you land up with
> right pressure which we know should be 1 atm.

You are not fixing (or conserving) the temperature in an NVE ensemble.  That
would be an NVT ensemble, employing a thermostat.  Since instantaneous pressure
is calculated (in part) from the kinetic energy, and since the kinetic energy is
not guaranteed to be conserved, the pressure term will also fluctuate accordingly.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Pressure

The internal energy of the system is constant in an NVE ensemble, the other
terms may fluctuate as necessary such that all microstates occur with the same
probability and the energy surface remains flat.  Also recall that an NVE
ensemble represents a thermodynamically isolated system, not conducting heat or
engaging in work with the surrounding system.  So any concept of external
pressure and equilibrating the pressure is irrelevant.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080