[gmx-users] Computational Alanine Scanning

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue May 18 06:22:45 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Binh Khanh Mai <khanhbinh183 at yahoo.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 14:10
Subject: [gmx-users] Computational Alanine Scanning
To: gmx-users at gromacs.org

> Dear all,
>     I'm trying use GROMACS to calculate binding free energy with MM-PBSA method and do Computational Alanine Scanning. After run MD and obtain pdb files, I use PYMOL to mutate one residue to Alanine to estimate the energy difference between 2 structures. My issue is that I don't know how to generate topology file (.top file) after mutation but not ignore hydrogen in initial file. If using pdb2gmx command, it needs me ignore hydrogen and I think hydrogen after using this command is not in the same place with hydrogen at first. This will my my results unbelievable.

Do your mutation with PYMOL, and later plan to use those coordinates as inputs to grompp. Use pdb2gmx however you need to in order to create the new .top. Assuming PYMOL is not messing around with atom/residue naming and ordering except for the mutated residue, all you have to do is edit a copy of the PYMOL coordinate file so that the new residue has atom names, residue names and atom ordering that match the .top. Then supply the .top with the fixed coordinate file to grompp.

Alternatively, work out why pdb2gmx requires you to ignore and regenerate hydrogens, and fix the issue there.