[gmx-users] DSSP

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 18 14:05:26 CEST 2010

shahid nayeem wrote:
> Hi
> After posting this mail I did some google search and after changing the
> executible name to dssp I moved it in /usr/local/bin/ After this when I
> did do_dssp it starts running asks to select a group I choose main chain
> 5, then it generates some intermediate file and gives error as
> segmentation fault. I though this problem was because of the executible
> in /usr/local/bin/ and rest of file in another directory say
> /home/shahid/software/dssp/. For this first I set the path in ~/.bascrc

Other files should be irrelevant.  The only file you need is the dssp binary.

> as DSSP=/home/shahid/software/dssp/DsspCmbi. I tried to run do_dssp I
> got the same intermediate file generated backing up the previous one.

Intermediate files are not an issue.  When the executable is in this directory,
does the calculation otherwise work?

> Then I moved all the files of dssp directory to /usr/local/bin/ and then
> tried to run do_dssp I am in the same situation.

If the executable in your home directory structure works, but in /usr/local/bin
it fails, then it could be some sort of permission error.  It ultimately doesn't
matter where your executable is, /usr/local/bin is default, but you can set any
other location you like with the DSSP environment variable.

-Justin

> waiting for your help
> shahid nayeem
>

> On 5/18/10, *Justin A. Lemkul* <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     shahid nayeem wrote:
>
>         Dear All
>         I downloaded dsspcmbi.tar.gz, and compiled  using command
>         ./DsspCompileGCC as given in Readme.txt file. when I try to run
>         do_dssp command in gromacs I get error
>

>     Well, what happened?
>

>         Fatal error:
>         DSSP executable (/usr/local/bin/dssp) does not exist (use setenv
>         DSSP)
>
>         I checked for DSSP executible in /usr/local/bin/ and I couldnt
>         find. I
>

>     It won't be there unless you put it there and you have re-named it.
>      I believe the default name of the dssp program is "dsspcmbi," which
>     you need to change when you move the executable.
>
>     http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Gromacs_Utilities/do_dssp
>
>     -Justin
>
>         even tried dsspcmbi.zip file but again I got the same error. I
>         compiled dssp as root. Now what shoul I do in order to run do_dssp
>         comand of gromacs.
>         Shahid nayeem
>

>     --
>
>     Justin A. Lemkul