[gmx-users] RMSIP

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Wed May 19 10:10:29 CEST 2010

Hi,

The answer is given by g_anaeig (-h):

When -v, -eig, -v2 and -eig2 are given, a single number for the overlap
between the covariance matrices is generated. The formulas are:
        difference = sqrt(tr((sqrt(M1) - sqrt(M2))^2))
normalized overlap = 1 - difference/sqrt(tr(M1) + tr(M2))
     shape overlap = 1 - sqrt(tr((sqrt(M1/tr(M1)) - sqrt(M2/tr(M2)))^2))
where M1 and M2 are the two covariance matrices and tr is the trace of a
matrix. The numbers are proportional to the overlap of the square root of the
fluctuations. The normalized overlap is the most useful number, it is 1 for
identical matrices and 0 when the sampled subspaces are orthogonal.

A more elaborate explanation is given in chapter 8.10 of the manual.
The definition for the RMSIP is a different one, but can readily be
found in literature.

Cheers,

Tsjerk