[gmx-users] enegry minimisation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu May 20 13:53:12 CEST 2010

sonali dhindwal wrote:
> Hello Gaurav,
> Thanks for your reply,
> I did position restrained enegry minimisation, and used following .mdp
> file for the same
>
> title            =  protein
> cpp              =  /usr/bin/cpp ; the c pre-processor
> define           =  -DPOSRE
> constraints      =  none
> integrator       =  steep
> dt               =  0.002    ; ps !
> nsteps           =  1000
> nstlist          =  10
> ns_type          =  grid
> rlist            =  0.9
> coulombtype      =  PME
> rcoulomb         =  0.9
> rvdw             =  0.9
> fourierspacing   =  0.12
> fourier_nx       =  0
> fourier_ny       =  0
> fourier_nz       =  0
> pme_order        =  4
> ewald_rtol       =  1e-5
> optimize_fft     =  yes
> ;
> ;      Energy minimizing stuff
> ;
> emtol            =  1000.0
> emstep           =  0.01
> pbc            =  xyz
>
> I included define =  -DPOSRE, for restraining the atom postion,
> I used posre.itp  which was genertaed by pdb2gmx.
>
> Have I done it correctly, because after this also many of the beeta
> sheets have become short, forming loops.

Well, you haven't properly defined position restraints.  The default (produced
by pdb2gmx) requires "define = -DPOSRES" not "-DPOSRE."  If you have for some
reason modified the topology, then maybe your approach is correct, but otherwise
your position restraints are not being applied.

I also find it very curious that such substantial changes are taking place
during a simple energy minimization.  Are you sure the effects you are seeing
are not simply due to the visualization software you are using guessing the
incorrect secondary structure type?  I have had that experience numerous times,
especially in the case of beta-strands.  DSSP tells me that, geometrically, I
have beta-strands, but the visualization software renders coil structures.

In any case, large structural deviations during EM suggest something
fundamentally wrong with the model.  Usually the changes in EM are small, since
it is performed at 0 K.  Only huge forces would cause any sort of structural change.

> I also want to ask what is the meaning of fx fy and fz :

Force constants (kJ mol^-1 nm^-2) in the x, y, and z directions.

> ; atom  type      fx      fy      fz
>      1     1  1000  1000  1000
>      5     1  1000  1000  1000
>      6     1  1000  1000  1000
>      7     1  1000  1000  1000
>      8     1  1000  1000  1000
>      9     1  1000  1000  1000
>     11     1  1000  1000  1000
>     12     1  1000  1000  1000
>     15     1  1000  1000  1000
>     18     1  1000  1000  1000
>     19     1  1000  1000  1000
>     20     1  1000  1000  1000
>     21     1  1000  1000  1000
>     22     1  1000  1000  1000
>     23     1  1000  1000  1000
>
> which is there in posre.itp file, and if these should have value of 1000
> 1000 1000 each ?

These default values are typically quite sufficient to restrain the structure.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar