[gmx-users] confusion about segmentation fault during mdrun

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri May 21 02:18:20 CEST 2010

Lan Hua wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
>    I took all your suggestions. But the same thing happened again in the
> NPT step with the "Segmentation fault" for some starting structure.  I
> attached the mdp file I used.  Do you have any idea what else could
> cause this error?
>
>    Thank you very much!

The only advice I can give is here (with special attention to the "Diagnosing an
Unstable System" section):

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up

I know you have explained your reasoning for using version 3.1.4, but do realize
that there have been numerous bug fixes and feature upgrades in the last 8
(yikes!) years of Gromacs development that may affect stability.  I have never
used 3.1.4, so if there's some inherent issue with that version, you can also
check the list archive for anyone that had similar issues back when 3.1.4 was
actually a recent release.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar