[gmx-users] reproducibility of PMF plot with two different starting structures

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Fri May 21 16:35:46 CEST 2010

Your run is not converged. You could (i) run more slowly, (ii) run
lots of these non-equilibrium runs and treat them appropriately, or
(iii) use an equilibrium method.

In any event, I suggest that you begin by (iv) repeat the run for both
poses with different random seeds to see how much of the difference
has nothing to do with the starting structure. If the different
starting poses give you SMD results whose difference is no greater
than the difference between poses, then you're probably just looking
at statistical error between the two.

You asked if this error is ok... sorry, I can't judge that. But still
you need to know what kind of error it is (statistical, or
systematically based on starting pose). Note that you will always get
some difference between two runs, your goal is to have a small enough
difference that it doesn't change your conclusions.

Chris.