[gmx-users] specifying interaction energy between residues

Gene Polovy gpolovy at gmail.com
Sat May 22 02:59:34 CEST 2010

I'm trying to simulate three alpha spectrin repeats (R15, R16, R17) using a structure based C-alpha model: http://smog.ucsd.edu/. My task is first to modify the sample .mdp file available at http://smog.ucsd.edu/GromacsTutorial.html. I'm having some difficulty figuring out what to set rlist, rcoulomb and rvdw to. I don't think I need to change anything else except for trying different temperatures? My simulation is running now, but I don't think it's running correctly. I set these parameters somewhat arbitrarily, mainly based on the errors I was getting.

After I get that working, I'd like to somehow provide gromacs with a table that tells it the native interaction energies between different pairs of residues (e.g. ALA & GLN) so that it doesn't assign a generic interaction energy value to all native interactions. (I think it's doing that now.)

I'm a complete newb to gromacs, sorry! I read through most of the manual, but I'm still confused about many of these parameters. I'd really appreciate it if you could help me.

Gene