[gmx-users] Re: stepsize too small ... but potential energ negative!

Anna Marabotti anna.marabotti at isa.cnr.it
Tue May 25 09:44:53 CEST 2010

Dear Justin,
I would like to say that you were true, but it isn't! :-(
I launched the minimization steps first changing in my em.mdp file the
emstep from 0.1 to 0.01 as you suggested, then using directly your minim.mdp
file from the lysozyme tutorial to create the .tpr:

integrator          =  steep
emtol               =  1000.0
emstep              =  0.01
nsteps              =  50000
nstlist             =  1
ns_type             =  grid
rlist               =  1.0
coulombtype         =  PME
rcoulomb            =  1.0
rvdw                =  1.0
pbc                 =  xyz

In both cases, the calculation stops with the same error as previous. The
log file reports a similar (infinite) value for LJ and Coulomb at the first
step, then nothing more.
I'm convincing myself that the problem is in the protein structure, not in
the parameters I used for minimization, but I really don't know what's
wrong. Moreover, I don't understand why mdrun goes for 37 steps without
giving me any output values. It doesn't say "I cannot minimize your
structure because it's too wrong for me", it doesn't fail to minimize it
arriving at a very high force or positive potential energy: it apparently
goes for some steps, but actually it seems to do nothing. It's not only the
fact that the structure doesn't minimize that is strange, in my opinion it's
more stranger the fact that I haven't any communication about something
wrong in my structure.

Any other help will be appreciated.
Thank you very much
Anna