[gmx-users] How to combine two gro files in one big file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 26 00:25:56 CEST 2010

VANDANA KUMARI wrote:
> Hi Yan,
>
> You can do it by converting your both gro file into pdb files and
> concatenating both  pdb files into one file . and you can convert pdb
> into gro using editconf
> steps are as follows:
>
> 1. editconf -f 1.gro -o 1.pdb
> 2. editconf -f 2.gro -o 2.pdb
>
> 3. cat 1.pdb 2.pdb > both.pdb
>
> you need to delete unnecessary line i.e. CRYST1 or END from you both.pdb
> file
>
> 4. editconf -f both.pdb -o both.gro

Conversion back and forth between .pdb and .gro is not required (but it does
work).  The main point of creating a concatenated file is that both molecules
are placed correctly within the same box, so for each:

editconf -f 1.gro -o 1_newbox.gro -center x y z -box x y z
(and the same for molecule 2)

Getting the molecule positions and box vectors right is the real trick.

Then concatenate, remove unnecessary box and header lines in the middle of the
file, correct the atom count and you're done.

> Vandana Kumari

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar