[gmx-users] LINCS vs SHAKE

thompsjj at purdue.edu thompsjj at purdue.edu
Mon Nov 1 05:06:22 CET 2010

I think Mark's comment still stands in this case: the argument for
keeping the bath and the protein at different, nonequilibrating
temperatures is still unsound. It might not explode right away,
because by lowering the timestep and decreasing temperature, you're
affording the thermostat a better chance to try to scale back
velocities. Explode or not, at 500K the solute is still pumping large
amounts of energy into the 300K solvent, which you're asking the
thermostat to absorb. The physics at the solute-solvent boundary are
questionable at best - real-life atoms don't get to have a special
thermostat to rescale velocities when they touch something hot.

~j