[gmx-users] mdrun -rerun: bonded interactions of protein

NG HUI WEN HuiWen.Ng at nottingham.edu.my
Wed Nov 10 13:29:15 CET 2010

Hi Gmxusers,

I have been trying to run mdrun -rerun to get the energy of the protein
in my protein-lipid system. I know similar questions have been raised on
this topic before, I have tried to glean useful information from them to
solve my problem but unfortunately to no avail. Thanks for your
patience!

As I did not have energygrps in the initial .mdp file, I included it
this time

integrator  = md
nsteps      = 0
dt          = 0.002
nstxout     = 50000
nstvout     = 50000
nstenergy   = 500
nstlog      = 500
Continuation      = yes
constraint_algorithm = lincs
constraints = all-bonds
lincs_iter  = 1
lincs_order = 4
ns_type           = grid
nstlist           = 5

rlist       = 1.2
rcoulomb    = 1.2
rvdw        = 1.2
coulombtype = PME
pme_order   = 4
fourierspacing    = 0.16
tcoupl            = Nose-Hoover
tc-grps           = Protein POPE    SOL_CL-

tau_t       = 0.1 0.1   0.1
ref_t       = 323       323   323
pcoupl            = Parrinello-Rahman
pcoupltype  = semiisotropic

tau_p       = 5.0
ref_p       = 1.0 1.0
compressibility = 4.5e-5      4.5e-5
pbc         = xyz
DispCorr    = EnerPres
gen_vel           = no
nstcomm         = 1
comm-mode       = Linear
comm-grps       = Protein_POPE SOL_CL-
energygrps  = Protein SOL POPE

I then did

1)grompp -f new.mdp -n index.ndx -c old.tpr -o rerun.tpr -p topol.top

2)trjconv -f old.trr -n index.ndx -s rerun.tpr -o rerun.trr (when
prompted, I selected "0" system)

3)mdrun -s rerun.tpr -rerun rerun.trr

I notice that the previous post
http://oldwww.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2009-January/038968.html
suggested to use tpbconv (on rerun.tpr) and trjconv (on rerun.trr) to
extract the protein only. While it was possible to do so with trjconv,
it wasn't feasible with tpbconv (I'm using gromacs 4.0.7) - I might have
missed out something as I did not get any prompt/output (see below)

tpbconv -s topol.tpr -n index_P.ndx -o rerun2.tpr

Reading toplogy and shit from topol.tpr
Reading file topol.tpr, VERSION 4.0.7 (single precision)
0 steps (0 ps) remaining from first run.
You've simulated long enough. Not writing tpr file

Using the g_energy command on the output energy.edr file, I got among
others, these options to choose

49  Coul-SR:Protein-Protein             50  LJ-SR:Protein-Protein

51  Coul-14:Protein-Protein             52  LJ-14:Protein-Protein

In order to get the energy of the protein, I reckon I have to add
49,50,51,52 (to account for the nonbonded components) and

1  Angle            2  G96Angle         3  Proper-Dih.      4
Ryckaert-Bell.  5  Improper-Dih

for the bonded components. However, I think 1-5 is the bonded terms for
the system and not the protein alone. Can anyone help me with this?

Also, on a slightly different note, this post
http://oldwww.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2005-July/016307.html
suggested that the force constant of the solvent (DMSO) to be adjusted
to zero. Am I right to think that it does not apply to my case as my
protein-lipid system is solvated with SPC? (I read that SPC is rigid
water. I did not add -DFLEXIBLE in .mdp)

Any help would be highly appreciated.Thanks!

HW

<< This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it. Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK & Malaysia legislation. >>