[gmx-users] mdrun -rerun: bonded interactions of protein

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 10 14:05:43 CET 2010

NG HUI WEN wrote:
> Hi Gmxusers,
>

> I have been trying to run mdrun –rerun to get the energy of the protein
> in my protein-lipid system. I know similar questions have been raised on
> this topic before, I have tried to glean useful information from them to
> solve my problem but unfortunately to no avail. Thanks for your patience!

Exactly how would define "the energy of the protein?"  This is a question that
gets posted very frequently, and the answer is always the same - it doesn't
correspond to any useful quantity, not that you can extract one, anyway.

As you've noticed, energygrps can only be used to decompose short-range
nonbonded interactions, not bonded or long-range interactions.  You will have
energy terms associated with the Coul.-recip. term from PME; how do you deal
with that?  As you can see, it is not a trivial exercise.

-Justin

> [...]
> rvdw        = 1.2
> coulombtype = PME
> pme_order   = 4
> fourierspacing    = 0.16
> tcoupl            = Nose-Hoover
> tc-grps           = Protein POPE    SOL_CL-
>
> tau_t       = 0.1 0.1   0.1
> ref_t       = 323       323   323
> pcoupl            = Parrinello-Rahman
> pcoupltype  = semiisotropic
>
> tau_p       = 5.0
> ref_p       = 1.0 1.0
> compressibility = 4.5e-5      4.5e-5
> pbc         = xyz
> DispCorr    = EnerPres
> gen_vel           = no
> nstcomm         = 1
> comm-mode       = Linear
> comm-grps       = Protein_POPE SOL_CL-
> *energygrps  = Protein SOL POPE*
>

> I then did
>
> 1)grompp –f new.mdp –n index.ndx –c old.tpr –o rerun.tpr –p topol.top
>
> 2)trjconv –f old.trr –n index.ndx –s rerun.tpr –o rerun.trr (when
> prompted, I selected “0” system)
>
> 3)mdrun –s rerun.tpr –rerun rerun.trr
>

> I notice that the previous post
> http://oldwww.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2009-January/038968.html
> suggested to use tpbconv (on rerun.tpr) and trjconv (on rerun.trr) to
> extract the protein only. While it was possible to do so with trjconv,
> it wasn’t feasible with tpbconv (I’m using gromacs 4.0.7) – I might have
> missed out something as I did not get any prompt/output (see below)
>

> tpbconv -s topol.tpr -n index_P.ndx -o rerun2.tpr
>

> Reading toplogy and shit from topol.tpr
> Reading file topol.tpr, VERSION 4.0.7 (single precision)
> 0 steps (0 ps) remaining from first run.
> You've simulated long enough. Not writing tpr file
>

> Using the g_energy command on the output energy.edr file, I got among
> others, these options to choose
>
> 49  Coul-SR:Protein-Protein             50
> LJ-SR:Protein-Protein
>
> 51  Coul-14:Protein-Protein             52
> LJ-14:Protein-Protein
>

> In order to get the energy of the protein, I reckon I have to add
> 49,50,51,52 (to account for the nonbonded components) and
>
> 1  Angle            2  G96Angle         3  Proper-Dih.      4
> Ryckaert-Bell.  5  Improper-Dih
>
> for the bonded components. However, I think 1-5 is the bonded terms for
> the system and not the protein alone. Can anyone help me with this?
>

> Also, on a slightly different note, this post
> http://oldwww.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2005-July/016307.html
> suggested that the force constant of the solvent (DMSO) to be adjusted
> to zero. Am I right to think that it does not apply to my case as my
> protein-lipid system is solvated with SPC? (I read that SPC is rigid
> water. I did not add –DFLEXIBLE in .mdp)
>

> Any help would be highly appreciated.Thanks!
>

> HW
>
> <<

> message or in any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the
> University of Nottingham.

> computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee