[gmx-users] find the relevant structure out

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 06:27:01 CET 2010

Hi,

> Visualization software can sometimes assign the secondary structure incorrectly.

There has been an interesting discussion on this on the Pymol user
list years ago (http://www.mail-archive.com/pymol-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01574.html).
Secondary structure assignment is foremost human defined. You can use
different metrics to obtain assignments, and should be careful to take
any one of them as 'correct'. For instance, it makes a difference
whether you assign three types (helical, sheet, loop), as Pymol does,
or like seven types, as DSSP does.

In pymol you can set the secondary structure type manually, but I find
that the internal command 'dss' usually does a good job. Note that it
only works on one frame and then uses the assignment for that frame on
all of them, although there may be a workaround (I'll check; something
with discrete_states). The frame to use for the assignment can be
given to the 'dss' command through the argument state=N, where N is
the frame number. If dss doesn't give the assignment you want, you can
also try 'util.ss' that uses a different metric.

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk