[gmx-users] charge group radii

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 30 00:02:27 CET 2010

On 30/11/2010 2:25 AM, Gavin Melaugh wrote:
> Cheers Mark for the reply
>
> I was more concerned about the Van der Waals interactions. If the
> distance between the centre of geometry of two charge groups is larger
> than rlist then these interactions are not included. I was therefore
> concerned if I had a situation in which certain atoms of a charge group
> (6 atoms) where close enough to interact with atoms of another charge
> group, but the COGs of the charge groups were larger than rlist, then
> these interactions would not be accounted for. Is this true?

Something along those lines is true - I forget the details. Charge
groups moving in and out of neighbour lists is a source of algorithmic
noise that affects non-PME models. Making them small in radius, small in
numbers of atoms, of integral charge, and with larger neighbour-list
radius reduces these effects. However the VDW interaction strength has
decayed to zero faster than the Coulomb, so the latter is a more
important effect.

Mark