[gmx-users] Water molecule starting at atom x can not be settled - minimization step

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Oct 5 11:05:46 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Trang <ttdtrang at gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 5, 2010 19:12
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Water molecule starting at atom x can not be settled	- minimization step
To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>

> I checked the initial coordinate file for overlapping atoms, but nothing found.

Even for the water at atom index 43372?

> I checked the step*.pdb file written after each crash but did not really understand those coordinates, for the problematic molecules have MORE THAN 1 positions in those files. what does that mean?

I don't understand your meaning. A molecule can have more than one position, an atom can't.

> I tried to reproduce the error on another computer, and it could be reproduced.
>
> I think I should check the initial coordinate more thoroughly to find all likely problematic points. Would you please recommend a way for me to do that check?

Using constraints during EM is not always a great idea, since the point of the procedure is to let atoms move according to the forces to relax bad contacts. Once the EM completes, the waters will be close to the geometry enforced by the constraint, which your first constraint-activated MD step will then enforce. Thus, try uncommenting your "define="-DFLEXSPC" line.

Mark