[gmx-users] Self Diffusion contant

Igor Leontyev ileontyev at ucdavis.edu
Tue Oct 12 01:07:56 CEST 2010

It is an interesting question. Is it not worthwhile to have a separate forum
board for such methodological issues?
Some time ago I raised the similar question regarding the convergence of
Self Diffusion Coefficient. The reasoning given in the paper mentioned by
Javier seems to be related to my issue too. Indeed if diffusion have several
regimes on different timescales then msd plot should have several linear
regions with different slopes. For lipid membrane "The diffusion
coefficients measured on short time scales come from fast motions of lipids
in a local free volume, while diffusion coefficients at long times comes
from the Brownian motion of lipids in a viscous fluid" I am wondering
whether the same reasoning is applicable for liquid water where timescales
are essentially shorter than those for lipid membrane? Can someone comment
the results at the following link?
http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2010-June/052119.html

Thanks,
Igor

This seems to be pleasable reasoning for
there are several linear comparison with experiment should be