[gmx-users] Gromacs benchmarking results

Igor Leontyev ileontyev at ucdavis.edu
Tue Oct 12 02:06:41 CEST 2010

Vivek,
thank you for interesting results. What is the configuration of your
cluster: cpu, #cores per node, connection between nodes? It might be
informative to represent your results by the computational efficiency, i.e.
Performance/(number of cores). It would be indeed interesting to see the
results for the latest version of gromacs.

Suppose we are considering buying a cluster. What is the optimal
configuration for the maximum efficiency per dollar spent? More
particularly, is the cluster of nodes with 2 x 12-core Opteron 2.2Ghz = 24
cores of  2.2Ghz more efficient than cluster of nodes with 2 x 6-core Xeon
2.66Ghz = 12 nodes of 2.66Ghz for the same price?
Thanks,
Igor