[gmx-users] Free energy calculations - desolvation energy of Na+

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 25 16:40:57 CEST 2010

eva.pluharova at marge.uochb.cas.cz wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> thank you for suggestion about changing the integrator, but I would like
> to know why it is not possible to sample properly by md under these
> circumstances.
>
> 1. Do you know any papers about sampling efficiency of systems with almost
> or completely switched off particles? How does it depend on the kind of
> thermostat or barostat?

I don't know about papers, but there are several relevant discussions in the
list archive, i.e.:

http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2003-June/006054.html

> 2. Note, that you can switch off the LJ particle also by creating B
> topology with sigma and epsilon equal to 0 in the .top file, not using
> couple-moltype. Doing so, there is no warning, but these approaches are
> equivalent. This seems like internal inconsistency in Gromacs.

Sorry, can't comment here.  Topology manipulation is outdated as of version 4.0,
but I guess it still works.  Maybe some checks need to be implemented in this
case.  It certainly seems like there can be artifacts if other .mdp parameters
are not set properly.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate