[gmx-users] Forcefield parameters

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 27 18:47:51 CEST 2010

Sai Pooja wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I am familiar with the section, however, I have a few doubts.
>
> When you say ...
> So modified protein-water VDW interactions can be introduced by defining
> all relevant "protein atom"-"TIP3P oxygen" [nonbond_params] terms.
> Do you mean that I can introduce [pairtypes] specifying interactions of
> all "relevant protein atoms" with "tip3p atoms"?

The [pairtypes] directive is for intramolecular interactions (1-4 interactions),
not intermolecular interactions.  The proper directive to add/modify is
[nonbond_params], as Mark said.  Section 5.3.3 clearly describes the mechanism
by which nonbonded interactions are calculated:

"Some or all combinations for different atom types can be given in the
[ nonbond_params ] section. Any combination that is not given will be computed
from the parameters for the corresponding atom types, according to the
combination rule..."

So, if there are no entries for the interaction in [nonbond_params], that
interaction is calculated.  If there are parameters defined in [nonbond_params],
then it is not calculated.  This mechanism allows you to define whatever
modified terms you want in [nonbond_params].  Anything you don't want modified
(i.e. water-water interactions) will be calculated according to the combination
rules.

> and I do not understand - It may be simpler to modify the [atomtypes] to
> generate the "modified" VDW from the combination rule
> Would this not alter all non-bonded interactions for the atomtypes
> defined? I think I haven't understood thsi properly...

Any change to the [atomtypes] directive will be a global change, modifying all
nonbonded interactions, which, from your earlier posts, sounds like something
you don't want to be doing.

-Justin

> Pooja
>

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Mark Abraham <mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
> <mailto:mark.abraham at anu.edu.au>> wrote:
>
>     I think manual 5.3.3 covers the relevant points. Let me know what is
>     not clear.
>
>     Mark

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate